Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, April 10, 2006

A busy day surrounding St. John's


Perhaps the most choatic day around St. John's is Tiger Opening Day. No matter how good or bad the Tigers are, it is always a sell-out, with lots of fans (even those without tickets) coming down early in the day to enjoy the festivities.

Many local radio stations broadcast live from neighboring bars and restaurants, and the restaurants open as early as 6am for those coming down early (there aren't many places around here open before lunch most days). I heard on my drive down that Pittsburgh Steeler, Jerome Bettis, who was throwing out the first pitch, was going to be across the street at Hockeytown Cafe on the radio, so I wandered over to see him. I didn't see him, but I ended up talking on the radio about our "Pray here for the Tigers" service and banner. Later, I went for a walk around the neighborhood, hoping to get a ticket to the game. I popped into another restaurant and was invited to speak on the air on WJR 760AM with Frank Beckman. More FREE PR for St. John's!

Last minute, Chris, our Olympia Parking supervisor got me into the game. Thank you Chris.
The only bad point is that the Tigers lost 5-3.

The top picture is me at the stadium (the lighting was bad...really it is me in the shadow). The second and third ones is the church with the crowds leaving the game. The last one is a shot of the new parking lot that replaced the former Motown HQ, ripped down during the Super Bowl preparations. The photos were taken from the top level of the Fox Garage across Woodward from St. John's.