Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, August 28, 2006

Getting excited about football season


With the Tigers having a good season and headed to the playoffs, and the Lions showing little sign of improvement during the pre-season, it has been hard to get excited about football. But this past weekend high school football started, and it is always exciting to cheer on my high school, especially in their rivalry against my two brothers' high schools, U of D Jesuit and Brother Rice. My school, Orchard Lake St. Mary's, was rated by Sports Illustrated as the best team in Michigan and #22 in the country.

I also like following my college's team, University of Pennsylvania (although quite frankly, Detroit area Catholic League football is more exciting sometimes than Ivy League ball), and I also cheer for U of Michigan. Notre Dame gets a cheer as well, except with playing Michigan!