Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Thursday, November 02, 2006

A wonderful All Souls Day


It was great to have so many people at tonight's Choral Requiem Mass, with the Choir singing Faure's Requiem. It was just beautiful.

It was also inspiring to have the other two Masses "among the dead". The first Mass was at Elmwood Cemetery, where the majority of our parishioners are buried. Mass was in the Chapel, and afterwards we went over to the graves of our Founders, Henry Porter Baldwin and his wife Cornelia, as well as the grave of our first Rector, Fr. (later Bishop) William Armitage. Both have many children who died in infancy buried with them, as well as the adult children and spouses of Governor Baldwin. Fr. Armitage's surviving child is buried elsewhere.


The Second Mass was in the Chapel, where we have our Columbarium Chapel. Here is buried our 11th Rector, Fr. Frisby, as well as many other parishioners from years gone by, several of whom I have interred there.

It was also a good day, one of joyful memories mixed with sorrow over loss concerning those who have died recently. In particular I prayed today for the repose of the soul of Fr. John M. Scott, who mentored my vocation to the priesthood. I also remembered in my sermon Phyllis Likas, who would have LOVED this year's Tiger Season (she was buried in her Travis Fryman Tiger Jersey!). Phyllis hated the High Church in me, but loved me anyway and I her. I miss visiting her!

The top photo is the chapel at Elmwood Cemetery.
The second photo is at Bishop Armitage's grave (I would like to be buried here).
The third photo is of Governor Henry Porter Baldwin's gravesite.

May their souls, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace!