Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

First Game at The Joe



What a great opportunity I had last night. A friend invited my son Andrew and me to see the Red Wings game last night. It is my first Red Wing game at Joe Louis Arena! Yes, that is right...the last Red Wing game I went to in person was at the old Olympia Stadium! That was over 30 years ago!


It was great fun, and especially because the Red Wings beat the Montreal Canadians 2-0.

But having been to events at The Palace in Auburn Hills in comparison, I can see why many folks want to replace Joe Louis Arena with something better - more bathrooms, bigger seats, more luxury boxes, etc. And of course I have an added desire for this new stadium - it would probably be build up here behind the Fox Theatre or even better where the Old Motown building stood across the street. Either way it means parking income for St. John's! Wouldn't a handsome brick arena, sort of like the old Olympia, look nice in the neighborhood?