Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What I am reading

An occasional feature - what is Fr. Kelly in the middle of reading right now?

This spawns from a questions Br. John-Charles Vockler FODC always asked of seminarians when he would visit Nashotah House. He said it was an interesting insight into the life of the seminarian.

As usual, I am in the middle of several books

"Some further insights into conservatism" by Richard S. Emrich, seventh bishop of Michigan from three Advent Lectures given in 1964 at Christ Church Grosse Pointe, MI. (it is hard to imagine our current Bishop giving these lectures to the current parish there - times have changed!)

"Islamic Imperialism: a history" by Efraim Karsh, Kings College, Univ. of London

"Thirsting for God in a land of shallow wells" by Matthew Gallatin (the story of a Seventh Day Adventist turned Charismatic Preacher/Pastor who converted to Orthodoxy) His explanation on the differences between protestant and orthodox are compelling, but he misrepresents the history of eastern orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism and the troubles between the two (skewed to the advantage of the eastern church).

And I am reading "Little House on the Prairie" to my son William as his nighttime reading, as I did to Sam and Andrew a few years ago (they are both listening again). - GREAT series of books!


My two nighttime mediation books (something I read before turning out the lights, in order to 'chew on' while I sleep to form a mediation in the morning, a discipline I learned in the second book listed below)
"The Way" by Opus Dei founder St. Jose Maria Escriva
"The Soul of the Apostolate" (I have re-read this book, a few pages at a time, at least 5 times in the last 14 years).

Labels: