Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Arrived in Milwaukee safely

I left Detroit this morning a little after 7am, heading to Milwaukee for The Living Church foundation board meeting. The Living Church magazine, as well as other things, are published to build up the church and keep it informed. But like much of the publishing industry we have to meet the challenges of the new electronic age. The Foundation Board is in charge of raising money and some planning. I look forward to the meeting tomorrow.


I also met today with a candidate for curate, a current student at Nashotah House (about 30 minutes west of Milwaukee). I told him I would try to be on campus by 3pm, leaving some time on the drive for construction, gas, and bathroom breaks. What I forgot was that I gain an hour moving into the central time zone.

As I got to the north of Chicago, making good time PLUS the extra hour, I remembered that the National Shrine to St. Maximilian Kolbe was in Libertyville, IL. I visited here probably 10 years ago. So being nearly noon I called Paul at the office who confirmed the location for me, and headed the 2 miles off the freeway. I thought I would sit in the beautiful adoration chapel and say my noonday prayers, and then take a peak into the gift shop.


As I arrived at 11:55 the parking lot was packed. There was a Noon Mass taking place. So I slipped in the back, surprised the church was so packed on a Tuesday at Noon.

It ends up that it is the 90th anniversary of an organization that Maximilian Kolbe founded, the M.I.. Members of this group, associated with the Franciscans who minister at the shrine, were in abundant attendance.

Thinking originally I would be there for 15 minutes of prayer, and 5 minutes (okay, maybe 10) in the gift shop, I ended up staying to hear Mass (of course not receiving because we are not in communion with the Roman Church), and in all was there about a hour. The hour gained was a hour nicely spent!

I am now here in Milwaukee for the night, and off to the meeting in the morning. It is earlier here, but still bedtime for me!