Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, December 08, 2008

Annotated Study Bible


This past Sunday I recommended in my sermon that people not only own a bible, but actually open it and read it! And I also recommend that people get an annotated study bible to help them to learn scripture.
A parishioner emailed for a recommendation. This is what I use. It is the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha, expanded edition, and ecumenical study Bible, REVISED STANDARD VERSION. It is also known as the RSV bible.
I avoid the NEW Revised Standard Version (NRSV) of the Bible, since the NEW is a purposeful removal of gender specific language, even in places where the hebrew/greek is specific.
This is not the end all/be all of bibles (and for regular reading and memorizing I prefer the Authorized Version of the Bible - AKA King James Bible), but it is the one I have used since returning to the practice of the faith, through seminary, and to this day.