Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, July 15, 2013

Two BUSY, fruitful weeks - Rector's Ramblings - July 7, 2013

Last year, being at the St. Michael’s Conference and then Boy Scout Summer Camp two out of three weeks was hard.  But this year, St. Mike’s got moved ahead a week due to Conference Center scheduling needs, and Troop 86 alternates which week they go away in the summer based on the Port Huron-to-Mackinac race (which itself alternates with the Chicago-to-Mackinac Race).
So, as a perfect storm, I ended up doing the Youth Conference and Summer Camp back to back.  As you can imagine…I am tired.
But I am also refreshed.  St. Michael’s Conference always encourages me in the faith, participating in the Mass and Classes, and in fellowship.  And Boy Scout Summer Camp reminds me that there are good youth, learning strong values, and becoming fine citizens of our country.
I was a Boy Scout growing up.  I made it up to LIFE (one step below Eagle).  In hindsight I really wish that I had completed my Eagle, but I went way to boarding school, and life moved in another direction.  But now I get to participate in the excellence of the program through my son William, and the other young men of Troop 86 (it has been a long time since St. John’s hosted Troop 2 of the Detroit Council).
Each year I am reminded of the wonder of the Scout Law.  Each Scout proclaims that a Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.  Even after 30 years away from scouting I was able to rattle those off from memory without a hesitation.
I don’t know about you, but these are the type of people I like to spend time with.  Striving to be good and wholesome citizens is a positive that is belittled by society in so many ways.  And a disproportionately high number of astronauts, military leaders, and leaders in business and industry have been Eagle Scouts or Scouts in general.  Thank God for the Boy Scouts of America