Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, June 10, 2019

Come Holy Ghost... - Rector's Rambling for June 9, 2019


This past week I received word that some old video tapes of services from years ago had been electronically digitized, and that I could now access them for download.  It was a trip down memory lane as I watched a service at my old parish in Charleroi in 1997, All Souls Requiem Mass here at St. John’s in 2001, and Homecoming from 2002.  I hadn’t viewed any of these videos in at least 15 years, and it was fun to be reminded of those times and to see faces of those who have passed on to greater life.
The fourth recording was one I had watched many times over the years, generally twice a year, that I had to have digitized because our last VCR at St. John’s gave out last year.  It was the videotape of my ordination to the priesthood in 1994.  Each year around Maundy Thursday (when the priesthood was instituted by Jesus), and my anniversary, I would watch the sermon from Bishop Keith L. Ackerman.  It is a wonderful reminder of the charge he gave to me that day to care for the faithful by being faithful.
What made my heart particularly glad was hearing the congregation singing Veni Creator Spiritus right before the Bishop laid hands on my head to ordain me.  Come, Holy Ghost, our souls inspire, and lighten with celestial fire.”  I have sung this hymn hundreds of times.  It is the great ancient prayer of the Church calling upon God the Holy Ghost to come to us and fill us, comforting us and filling us with His Power.
The hymn continues, “Thou the anointing Spirit art, who dost thy sevenfold gifts impart.  Thy blessed unction from above Is comfort, life and fire of love.  Enable with perpetual light The dullness of our blinded sight.  Anoint and cheer our soiled face With the abundance of thy grace.  Keep far our foes, give peace at home: Where thou art guide, no ill can come.  Teach us to know the Father, Son, And thee, of both, to be but One, That through the ages all along, This may be our endless song: Praise to thy eternal merit, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.”
This isn’t just an ordination prayer, but a powerful prayer to be said in all circumstances.  Ask God the Holy Ghost to be stirred up into your life!  You received the gift of the Holy Ghost at your baptism, and he will help by guiding and governing you to greater holiness!