Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Thursday, November 10, 2022

Health update, and Malawi Ingathering - Rector's Rambling for November 13, 2022

     In order to meet the printer’s deadline, The Chronicle has to be sent electronically by Wednesday at lunchtime, although we aim to submit it by Tuesday evening.  Last week I wrote my column before what was supposed to be a ‘quick one hour surgery’ to repair a hernia in the incision from my big surgery in Finland in 2019. The expectation was that I would be back on my feet and at the altar on Sunday.

Things didn’t quite go as planned.  Thursday’s 1 hour surgery took 2.25 hours, and a simple repair ended up being much more complicated than anticipated.  And then after a few days at home beginning to recover, my intestines decided to shut down  which sent me to the ER and then being readmitted to the hospital.

So here I am a week later, writing this week’s column on Tuesday just a few hours after being discharged from the hospital again and hoping that, God willing, I will be back at the altar today as you read this.

A hearty thank you to everyone who pitched in to offer worship last week at the last minute (I started texting/messaging people from the ER at 2:30 Sunday morning) and for the outpouring of prayer for me.

Today we have our Malawi Ingathering - please be generous in you support of the Church in Malawi and Bishop Jackson Biggers.

Also, we have lots of things coming up in the next few weeks at St. John’s including our Thanksgiving Eve and Day festivities.  We will need volunteers to help at the Front Door Canteen selling donuts/hot chocolate/coffee, as well as help in the undercroft  for the Pancake Breakfast. 

And be sure to invite your family,  friends, and neighbors to attend!