Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Tiger Baseball Outing Sunday - Rector's Rambling for April 30, 2023

     Welcome to our Tigers Baseball Outing Sunday.  It’s a wonderful day for us here at St. John’s, as we celebrate America’s pastime, and welcome our guests to join us for the festivities. 

Comerica Park opened in April of 2000, and it made an immediate impact on St. John’s.  The new stadium location meant increased parking revenue for St. John’s.  When I interviewed to be rector here in November 2000, I was stunned to see how close Comerica Park was to St. John’s, and the change in the neighborhood because of it.  I had worshipped here for Christmas Eve, 1992, while I was a seminarian at Nashotah House (my parents lived in Michigan at the time).  To say that things were a bit rough and ragged in this part of town might be an understatement.  On that Christmas Eve in 1992, I never would have imagined that 8 years later I would be interviewing to be the rector.

Now here we are 23 years later gathering once again to worship, and to head over to the Tigers game.  In 2001 I threw out a first pitch, and in 2002 I led the 7th inning stretch in Take me out the ballgame.  I am much happier to have the choir be ‘front and center’ for the National Anthem instead.

In addition to the added excitement of Tiger baseball, we have witnessed the  opening of Ford Field in 2003, and Little Caesar’s Arena in 2017, plus all the new housing and commercial buildings recently built - what a great neighborhood we have surrounding us.

Of course, thanks be to God that what has not changed is the Faith that St. John’s has received and proclaims from the pulpit, in our liturgy, and our outstanding music.  And I am glad so many people are joining us today.