Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, May 29, 2006

Holy Ghost Novena - Day Four

Fourth Day - Holy Fortitude
Thou in toil art comfort sweet
Pleasant coolness in the heat;
Solace in the midst of woe.

The Gift of Fortitude
Prayer - By the gift of Fortitude, the soul is strengthened against natural fear, and supported to the end in the performance of duty. Fortitude imparts to the will an impulse and energy which move it to undertake without hesitancy the most arduous tasks, to face dangers, to trample under foot human respect, and to endure without complaint the slow martyrdom of even lifelong tribulation. "He that shall persevere unto the end, he shall be saved."

Come, O Blessed Spirit of Fortitude, uphold my soul in times of trouble and adversity, sustain my efforts after holiness, strengthen my weakness, give me courage against all the assaults of my enemies, that I may never be overcome and separated from Thee, my God and greatest Good. Amen.

Act of Consecration to the Holy Ghost (said daily)
On my knees before the great multitude of heavenly witnesses, I offermyself soul and body to Thee, Eternal Spirit of God. I adore the brightness of Thy purity, the unerring keenness of Thy justice, and the might of Thylove. Thou art the Strength and Light of my soul. In Thee I live and moveand am. I desire never to grieve Thee by unfaithfulness to grace, and I pray with all my heart to be kept from the smallest sin against Thee.Mercifully guard my every thought and grant that I may always watch for Thy light and listen to Thy voice and follow Thy gracious inspirations. I cling to Thee and give myself to Thee and ask Thee by Thy compassion to watchover me in my weakness. Holding the pierced Feet of Jesus and looking atHis Five Wounds and trusting in His Precious Blood and adoring His openedSide and stricken Heart, I implore Thee Adorable Spirit, helper of myinfirmity, so to keep me in Thy grace that I may never sin against Thee.Give me grace O Holy Ghost, Spirit of the Father and the Son, to say toThee always and everywhere, "Speak Lord, for Thy servant heareth." Amen.

Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost (said daily)
O Lord Jesus Christ, Who, before ascending into heaven, didst promise to send the Holy Ghost to finish Thy work in the souls of Thy Apostles andDisciples, deign to grant the same Holy Spirit to me, that He may perfectin my soul the work of Thy grace and Thy love. Grant me the Spirit ofWisdom that I may despise the perishable things of this world and aspireonly after the things that are eternal, the Spirit of Understanding toenlighten my mind with the light of Thy divine truth, the Spirit of Counselthat I may ever choose the surest way of pleasing God and gaining Heaven,the Spirit of Fortitude that I may bear my cross with Thee, and that I mayovercome with courage all the obstacles that oppose my salvation, the Spirit of Knowledge that I may know God and know myself and grow perfect inthe science of the Saints, the Spirit of Piety that I may find the serviceof God sweet and amiable, the Spirit of Fear that I may be filled with aloving reverence towards God, and may dread in any way to displease Him. Mark me, dear Lord, with the sign of Thy true disciples and animate me inall things with Thy Spirit. Amen.