Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Friday, August 04, 2006

Patron Saint of Parish Priests

A quick note before the feast day is over....

Today is the Feast of St. Jean Marie Vianney, a third order Franciscan who is now venerated at the patron saint of parish priests. (born 1786, died 4 August, 1859)

For those parishioners at St. John's who were here when I arrived, in my first sermon I referred to a story about the young Cure d'Ars (the french name for the parish priest of the town of Ars, in France), who as he approached his new town, asked a young shepherd boy for directions to Ars. The boy walked him to the edge of town and the holy priest then said "You have shown me the way to Ars, now I will show you the way to heaven." I thanked the search committee and vestry for showing me the way to St. John's, and now it was my job to show them (you all) the way to heaven!

More info on St. Jean Vianney can be found at
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08326c.htm