Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Bl. David Pendleton Oakerhater


Today we commemorated Deacon David Pendleton Oakerhater (feast date - September 1), a Cheyenne Indian warrior who converted to Christianity in prison, and went on to evangelize his people to Jesus Christ. The Lesser Feasts and Fasts, the hagiography book for ECUSA, lists this great speech when he returned, converted to his people.

You all know me. You remember when I led you out to war I went first, and what I told you was true. Now I have been away to the East and I have learned about another captain, the Lord Jesus Christ, and he is my leader. He goes first, and all He tells me is true. I come back to my people to tell you to go with me now in this new road, a war that makes all for peace.

In an age of Political Correctness, when we are told to 'respect' others traditions (did you know the "Our God is Mother" billboard was supposed to appeal to Native Americans?), it is refreshing to rejoice in one who turned from the error of his people's religion, and brought the Truth of Jesus Christ to them to lead them out of error as well.

For more info on Deacon Oakerhater you can go to
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/Oakerhater/index.html