Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Saturday, January 20, 2007

A busy, but fruitful week!

This past week has been a good one.

I had lots of appointments (some weeks I have no appointments with parishioners, other weeks plenty!) both in and out of the office. I met a parishioner from long ago, who contacted the Church in order to be buried from the parish she was married at in 1949. Pray for Kathleen Hunter who is terminal and not expected to live longer than a few months. I also saw long-time parishioner Gar Williams who has been moved to a physical rehab facility to gain some strength in the hopes of returning to his regular senior facility. Also anointed another parishioner before his surgery, and was 'on-standby' for another parishioner's mother-in-law about to have emergency surgery. Her own parish priest was finally contacted and arrangments made for annointing and communion before surgery. Planning as started for Lenten programs, Marriage Prep, and the next Alpha - all to be announced soon. All this in addition to the regular week's work to be done. It was a good, fulfilling week.

We also had the Alpha Course Graduation Dinner on Thursday.

Personally, my New Year's resolutions are still in tact. I ran 4 days this week and swam 3. I got a chance to go to my first Red Wings game at the Joe. On Wednesday I celebrated a personal milestone - 18 years sober....one day at a time.

Deo Gratias to the Good God for all His Mercies!