Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, March 19, 2007

Happy St. Joseph's Day!

May the foster-father of our Lord pray for us!

especially those of us who are asking him to help us to sell a house!

A Novena (nine day) Prayer form, asking St. Joseph to pray for us for a special intention...... (see note below about saints/novenas)

Saint Joseph, I, an unworthy child, greet you. You are the faithful protector and intercessor of all who love and venerate you. You know that I have confidence in your intercession to Jesus. Therefore I humbly invoke you and commend myself, with all who are dear to me and all that belong to me, to your intercession. I beg of you, by your love for Jesus, not to abandon me during life and to assist me at the hour of my death.

Glorious Saint Joseph, spouse of the Virgin Mary, obtain for me a pure, humble, charitable mind, and perfect resignation to the divine Will. Be my guide, my fatherly example, and my model through life that I may merit to die as you did in the arms of Jesus and Mary.

Loving Saint Joseph, faithful follower of Jesus Christ, I raise my heart to you to implore your powerful intercession in obtaining from the Divine Heart of Jesus all the graces necessary for my spiritual and temporal welfare, particularly the grace of a happy death, and the special grace I now implore:

(Mention your request).

Guardian of the Word Incarnate, I feel confident that your prayers in my behalf will be graciously heard before the throne of God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen

Concerning Novena's and Praying with the Saints - Remember that we are not praying TO the saint, but asking the Saint to pray for and with us, as we would ask a friend, family member, or priest to pray for us to our only mediator and advocate to the Father, Jesus Christ our Lord. Also note that the intention has primarily an intercession for our increased faith and holiness, before our other needs or desires! Finally, remember that VENERATION is a form of respect for God through his saints or holy things (bowing as the cross passes in Church is a form of veneration). We venerate the saints for their holy example of loving Jesus, and holy things for who they point to - GOD! Worship is due to God alone. Veneration is not worship.