Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

I know it is bad for the mortar....



....but I do like the look of Ivy growing on buildings. Here is a patch of it growing up the front. It will be taken down.

We have some great old photos of the entire front of the building covered in Ivy. I think it looks great, but we can't let it grow. (Perhaps as a project for the Sesquicentennial we can scan and post our historic photo collection!)

By the time I went to college at an "Ivy League" school they had already done away with the Ivy (which at The University of Pennsylvania was eating the serpentine stone on the old College Hall building - pictured here) before I arrived in 1984.