Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Friday, August 10, 2007

A fun afternoon last Wednesday

Having gotten caught up in the lawsuit ruling and those postings, I didn't share my fun afternoon last Wednesday.

Herb Gunn, the editor of the Diocesan paper, The Record, arranged to interview Sean Casey, the Detroit Tigers first baseman. He decided I should come, and he would record it as a conversation between Casey and Fr. Kelly (which is a series they have been doing, providing the audio on their website of various conversations).

While waiting for the elevator down to the clubhouse we saw hall of famer Al Kaline. We shared an elevator with former Tiger, now Tampa Bay Devil Ray, Carlos Pena. While in the dugout I saw Andrew Miller in the outfield doing some rehab on his hamstring and had a quick hello with him as he passed by into the clubhouse. I was really nervous waiting with Herb and his wife for Sean to come out.

The minute he greeted us with his big friendly grin I was at ease. We were told we had only 20 minutes so we jumped right into the conversation. He was a really nice guy (which is his reputation in Major League Baseball), and easy to talk to about faith and family. We went on for at least 25 minutes (the Fox Sports Net crew waited patiently to speak with him next). I gave him a St. John's DVD and brochure, and of course invited him to join us some Sunday at St. John's! Of course, I invite EVERYONE I meet to come to St. John's!

As I was leaving, other players were trickling out on the field for practice. Pitcher Justin Verlander was swinging a bat, an unusual sight since as a pitcher he doesn't get to bat. When he saw me there I said, "they aren't changing the rules tonight and making you bat?" He smiled and said no. I then congratulated him on his no-hitter and told him we were here for that game. By now he had come over and shook my hand and we had a short conversation. Of course, I invited him to St. John's as well.

Herb Gunn took pictures of Sean Casey and I together during the interview, and then snapped this picture from afar while I was talking to Verlander. It was Herb who added the funny quote at the bottom!

When I get more photos from Herb I will be sure to post them here. Also, I will supply a link to the interview when they publish it.