Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Friday, August 17, 2007

Listening to music and sermons on the internet

While working on the computer I like to listen to music, services, and sermons on the internet.

Some of my favorites?

http://www.stjohnsdetroit.org/media/audio/sermons/index.htm
yes, I check out my sermons to see if I was at all coherent on Sunday. I don't write out my sermons in advance, and as I listen I think of how perhaps I could state points better next time.
In coming months, once we have tweaked the new recording system, we will place musical highlights on our website from each Sunday as well.

http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/Stream.html
St. Thomas on Fifth Avenue in New York City has a world class choir boy school and in addition to putting Sunday Services on the website (Morning Holy Communion and Evensong), during the school year the Choir of Men and Boys sings Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday Evensong and it is on the website. They actually broadcast the services live, and then put the recorded service on the site for a few days following

http://www.s-clements.org/Resources_HighMass.html
S. Clement's Church in Philadelphia is a REALLY High Church shrine parish. This link is to a download of the audio of the entire Sunday Service.
http://www.s-clements.org/Music_AudioLibrary.html
This link is for smaller downloads of particular musical pieces sung by their professional choir.

The recordings from St. John's, Detroit and S. Clement's, Philadelphia can be downloaded on your computer to listen to or to an ipod/mp3 player to take with you.