Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Opening Day!

The rain held off and the Tigers had Opening Day yesterday! By 10am the crowds were gathering and tailgating. I wondered over to Hockeytown Cafe at 10:30am and every level, including the outside deck and side yard were packed with people.


I had the good fortune to run into Paula Tutman of WDIV4 news, who is a good friend of a parishioner and a visitor to St. John's, and she interviewed me about Opening Day - so I got to put in a plug for St. John's. I also wandered over to the Opera House, where WJR was broadcasting to say hello to Frank Beckmann. He then invited me on the air between the 10am news and interviewing Chris Ilitch (President of Ilitch Holdings, son of the owner of the Tigers). 2 or 3 minutes of air time on WJR is something we couldn't afford to purchase!



And the highlight of the day was going to the game. Parishioner Steve Elmer's business partner couldn't come, so he invited me to the game. GREAT seats - 4 rows behind the visitor's dugout! Here was the view from our seats!


Unfortunately, the Tigers lost in 11 innings. But it was a wonderful day, and I am looking forward to a Spring, Summer, and Fall of baseball!!!

Labels: