Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the 51 year old Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 150 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Media coverage of the house fire

From the Grosse Pointe News - and of course we know that the baby is okay.


Fire guts part of Park house

May 08, 2008


Medics responding to a house fire on Beaconsfield late Tuesday afternoon rushed an infant to the hospital for precautionary treatment of smoke inhalation.


There were no other injuries reported in the two-alarm fire that gutted a front, first-floor living room. The child's condition wasn't known at deadline Tuesday evening, May 6.


The fire alert virtually emptied Grosse Pointe Park public safety headquarters. About 15 officers, including chief David Hiller and deputy chief John Schulte, rolled to the scene.


"When we arrived, flames and smoke were coming from the front windows," Schulte said.


The infant and mother were outside.


Lt. James Armbruster, incident commander, called a second alarm while officers unrolled preconnects — hoses already connected to the fire truck's onboard water tanks — and began the attack."Heavier flames came out as furniture in the room combusted," Armbruster said.

"We pulled our preconnects and knocked it down pretty quickly," Schulte said.


Officers wearing heavy coats prevented flames from igniting the porch, then, wearing air masks and tanks, went inside.


"We made an interior attack through the front door and knocked down the flames," Armbruster said."Quick attack was key," Schulte said.


Farms medics and a City pumper truck responded to the second alarm.


Investigators hadn't determined why the fire started, but Armbruster said, "Our initial information from the tenant was there was perhaps a candle she was burning. That has not been verified.


"The house's battery-powered fire alarm beeped as officers checked throughout the dwelling. No fire spread to adjacent rooms or upstairs. Water leaked into the basement.


Despite venting from large fans, radiant heat and smoke residue produced an oily stench in the burned room that made the air heavy and clung to clothes. A crucifix hanging from a blackened plaster wall in the ruined room appeared undamaged.


"We can only stress safety with candles — no combustibles under them, near them or around them," Armbruster said. "One little bump and you have a fire."— By Brad Lindberg

Labels: