Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, August 11, 2008

Enjoying the Olympics!

Every 4 years I certainly enjoy watching the Olympics. 1976 in Montreal is the first one I really remember (I vaguely remember 1972 Munich - I was 6) with Nadia Comeneche's perfect 10's, and Bruce Jenner winning the Decathalon. 1980 was boycotted by the USA in the USSR, and 1984 was in Los Angeles - which was the first time I tried to catch the rowing since I had started rowing in 1981.

Skipping ahead, 2000 in Australia was special because my cousin Tommy Wilkins was the c0-captain of the US Swim team and won a bronze in the 200 IM! (these pictures are Tommy)

This year there is a very cool thing for the coverage - http://www.nbcolympics.com/ !

Click on Video and enter a sport!

Here is the Rowing heats for the men's and women's eights
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=ro1h-bj-sd30-081108-144503&channelcode=sportro
The USA women's heat start is just after the 4 minute mark
The USA men's heat start is at about the 34 minute mark on the player.
I won't spoil the endings of the heats
Of course, by the time you read this, there might be a more up to date video on rowing to watch.

I am also enjoying watching gymnastics, swimming, fencing, and we even watched some team handball the other day on CBC - a very interesting sport!

Labels: