Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The passing of John Updike


I read with sadness this afternoon that John Updike passed away today. He was an iconic American writer who also happened to be the step-father of one of my fraternity brothers (in my pledge class).

I met Mr. Updike at the cocktail party at my fraternity after graduation exercises. I didn't recognize him, and if Jason had mentioned that his step-dad was John Updike, I missed it. What a surprise when in a conversation I asked him, having only introduced himself as Jason's step-father, what field he was in and he said "I am a writer". He then realized I didn't know who he was, and because Jason has his father's last name, he said, "I'm John Updike". WOW!!!

A nice obit is here

May he rest in peace.