Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Monday, April 02, 2007

Opening Day at St. John's


It is always great fun around St. John's for Tiger Opening Day!

The crowds begin showing up EARLY. When I arrived here at 9:30am the parking lot was already half full, and the crowds were wandering around the neighborhood. The weather is great - sunny and low 60's.
After doing a few things in the office, I went over to Hockeytown Cafe and saw the local sports talk DJ's. I also met a guy I went to Orchard Lake St. Mary's with (a year behind me). I also wandered over by the entrance to see all the vendors, and ran into Ray Sahya from Channel 7, who put me on the air LIVE at the noon newscast as the Pray for the Tigers priest. I then spent some time with the Wayne County Mounted Officers before coming in to the office to listen to the game on the radio while getting some correspondance done.

I am going to go do some visiting now, to get away from here now to avoid the traffic congestion after the game.

This is only the second time in 7 years here at St. John's for opening day that no one has given me a ticket for opening day! But perhaps I will pop in to the games on Weds and Thurs when it is snowing and there are fewer fans there!