Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Perhaps it is just unreasonable expectations on my part!

As many have discerned from my email last week after the Maundy Thursday service, and my post on the blog before the Good Friday service, I was quite disappointed by the attendance at the holy week services. Easter Sunday was better, but not quite as good as last year's attendance.

Perhaps the problem is that I have unrealistic expectations. Since the Sacred Triduum is the keystone of our faith, I think that everyone should be as excited about the opportunity to worship and be a part of the amazing special liturgies for these days! I can't imagine that anyone would let anything get in the way!

I do know that many people were traveling, and some were sick. But I am just surprised that not everyone is as excited about it. For example, the first two photos are of the Church, as seen from the pulpit, on Easter Sunday. In a Church as large as ours, this is a pretty good crowd, especially compared to 3,4, or 5 years ago. Adding up those at the altar (Choir, Acolytes, Clergy) and those away in Children's Chapel at the time of the photo, we had about 325 people at the service (I was surprised to see the usher's count was even lower...but that is something to haggle about later). The lower level seats about 500, and it was certainly more than half full. We also had 25 at the Saturday PM Vigil, and 40 at 7:30/8:00am Morning Prayer and Communion

This last picture is what my expectations would be of a crowd for Easter Sunday....perhaps a little unrealistic.....and please pay no attention to the guy on the left in the picture ;-)