Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Thursday, October 25, 2007

What I am reading/listening too

I have gotten back into the habit of listening to books on tape in my car. This was especially helpful in my trip to Milwaukee and back.

I listened to "American Gospel" by Jim Meecham. In this book he talks about the faith of the country's founders, and what developed into American Civil Religion. Interesting points, but he obviously sets out to disprove Christianity as American foundation.

"The River of Doubt" by Candice Meland. After Teddy Roosevelt lost the election of 1912 he headed off to explore the Amazon in Brazil, particularly this previously unmapped river. He and his son almost died.

Right now I am listening to "Augustus", a bio of Caesar Augustus.

As for reading...
The usual nighttime books - Souls of the Apostolate and The Way.
Also working through (again) Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution.

Recently picked up Clarence Thomas' Autobiography "My Grandfather's Son" and a book by Fr. Kevin Martin called "the Myth of the 200 Barrier", which I think could be helpful since we seem to have bounced up against that attendance barrier here at St. John's.
I look forward to starting these soon.

Labels: