Piety Hill Musings

The ramblings of the Rector of St. John's Episcopal Church of Detroit. Piety Hill refers to the old name for our neighborhood. The neighborhood has changed a great deal in the over 160 years we have been on this corner (but not our traditional biblical theology) and it is now known for the neighboring theatres, the professional baseball and football stadiums and new hockey/basketball arena.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Detroit, Michigan, United States

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

St. Arbucks

Over the last few years some church growth people have looked to the coffee chain Starbucks (nicknamed by these churchy folks as St. Arbucks) as a model for growing Churches. I obviously don't follow the newest fad about these things.

I do like Starbucks coffee, but rarely drink it anymore (I can make several POTS of coffee at home/office for the price of one cup there). But I do like the way their coffee tastes!

I say all this because the chain has been in the news lately.
With the economy down, combined with the proliferation of coffee places (heck -even McDonalds sells premium coffee now), their sales/profits are WAY down.

They brought back the old CEO/Founder, introed a new coffee line, and announced they are closing 600 stores.

600. Seems like a lot.

Until I read the end of the interview. There are over 10,000 Starbucks stores in the USA, 15,000 worldwide!

I would have never imagined 20 years ago that people would pay $2 for a regular cup of Coffee ($5 for something fancy) or pay for water in a bottle! Wow!

Labels: